If you love the idea of a soup that is alive with fresh veggies, herbs and flavour then this is a great soup for you. You can serve it cold or at room temperature and, yes, you can put vodka in it to make it “dirty.” Either way, this is a delicious and refreshing dish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vodka (optional)
- a big pinch of salt and then to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Typically, for best results you should chop all ingredients finely and then combine them into a bowl and let them sit at least 15 minutes before serving. This really preserves the beautiful look of the soup and we do eat with our eyes first. However, if you are a bit pressed for time, you can give the ingredients a whizz in your blender until you get the desired consistency. Your soup will not look as beautiful, but it will still taste delicious. If you do the blender method, be sure NOT to add the oil until after you are done blending, and then still the oil in to combine.