Here’s a simple and flavourful way to use Boston lettuce and cucumbers in a very healthy meal that really only takes less than 30 minutes of actual working time to prepare.
For the short ribs:
4 lbs or so of beef short ribs, cut 1/3″ to 1/2″ thick
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic (or Asian chives), ginger (or galangal), onions and red pepper flakes into the slow cooker.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add ribs and cover ribs with mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours. When done, ribs will be very tender.
- Carefully remove ribs from crock-pot and place on platter and scatter toasted sesame seeds (optional) on top.
- Serve in butter lettuce cups (Boston lettuce) with rice and pickles.
For the quick Korean pickles:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 large English hothouse cucumbers
Add all ingredients to a 1 litre Mason jar, put on the lid and shake it up. Slice the cucumbers super thinly; I used a mandoline here but if you’re using a knife just go as thin as you are comfortable with. Add the cucumber slices to the jar and shake around every which way, ensuring that the mixture gets all over the cucumbers. These can be served anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour after prep. These are so delicious your family or guests are going to go crazy for them! Simple to make too, but you don’t have to admit to that. 😉